Natural gas is a product of the decomposition of organic matter. The organic matters undergo anaerobic conditions. The process occurred 150 million years ago and as a result the gas was trapped between rock’s porous systems.
There are many limitations to the use of natural gas. For example:
- Natural gas is non-renewable source of energy.
- The primary element of natural gas is methane which is toxic for human health as well as environment.
- Processed natural gas is explosive in characteristics.
Consequently, it is important to find a better alternative; something more stable and eco-friendly.
Biogas produced from biomass is one such method that is capable of successfully replacing natural gas. Biomass is a renewable energy and is an ongoing process.
Biomass is the energy produced from organic matter. Though biomass is slightly expensive than natural gas, there are several benefits of using biomass as an alternative to natural gas.
Some examples are as listed
- Safety: Biomass is a low emission fuel. It does not emit harmful gas that harms environment.
- Renewable: Biomass is a spontaneous process. It can be processed in a properly equipped facility.
- Reduce Waste: Biomass is produced from wastes that would otherwise be inadequately disposed.
The estimated production of biomass in the US is 4.47 quadrillion Btu, in the year 2020. The aim of this project is to reach by 2050, an estimate of 5.39 quadrillion Btu.
Biomass is a great help for power generators and mechanical engines.
Other than biomass there are other options to replace natural gas. All these source of energy are renewable resource and hence are more beneficial.
- Solar energy: Energy derived from sun and then converted into electricity, solar energy is one of the cleanest energy.
- Wind energy: With the help of wind turbines, the kinetic energy is transformed into electrical energy.
These three can replace natural gas and also keep the environment clean.
Additionally, unlike natural gas, biomass is produced from wastes. Exhaustion of the source of natural gas will lead to negative impact on eco-system. Biomass, on the other hand, makes use of the wastes and thus helps clean the earth.